DISTRICT MANAGER for Willoughby and Whitehurst: The District Manager is responsible for the overall performance of the community(s), financially, aesthetically, and in resident satisfaction. The District Manager is also responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the office and employees on their designated community(s). The District Manager reports directly to the Regional Property Manager. The District Manager's schedule may include working regularly scheduled weekends, depending on the needs of the community and upon the directive of the Regional Property Manager. Whenever possible, District Managers should be scheduled for the typical workweek of Monday through Friday.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE DISTRICT MANAGER-Property Stability
· Inspect property on a daily basis to ensure all aspects of the property and curb appeal meet Lincoln standards. Render the community curb appeal in a condition that is enticing to client traffic and exceeds the neighborhood market.
· Inspect aged and/or selected vacancies on a weekly basis to monitor upkeep and ensure Lincoln make-ready standards are being met. Monitor occupancy; advise RPM of any problems areas / floor plans.
· Personally oversee the details of apartment turnarounds and contractor work. Ensure compliance with policy of 7 day (5 business days) apartment turnaround.
· Maintain communication with the Housing Office.
· Review and approve for submission to the Housing Office all requests for transfer. Apartment must be walked and resident history reviewed by management before transfer is approved.
· Coordinate the preparation and submit reports as requested by your RPM or General Manager. Control Expenditures
· Operate within budget parameters. Seek approval for all budget deviations.
· Supervise move out inspections, determine charges (if any) to resident.
· Supervise carpet, vinyl, and wallpaper replacement. Consult with RPM on any repair or replacement over $500.
· Under supervision of the Regional Property Manager or Maintenance Director, solicit competitive bids as needed for major contract work.
· Initiate and control administrative expenses--office supplies, legal fees, etc.
· Ensure compliance with company accounting procedures including but not limited to the following:
a. Maintain expenses within 10% of budget
b. Proper use of account codes
c. Accounts payable procedures
e. 3-part Service Requests with invoices
· Monitor and control overtime.
· Maintain the community in a clean and attractive condition while keeping within budget guidelines.
· Consult with RPM on plans for capital expenditures.
· Oversee petty cash expenditures and reporting. Prepare and submit the proper accounting reports as requested by your Regional Property Manager (or Owner) including but not limited to the following:
a. Budget Variance Reports
b. Executive Summaries
c. Budget Forecast upon request
d. Month End Accounting and Yardi Reports
e. Payroll reporting Maximize Income
· Ensure income is documented and accounted for in accordance with Policy, including but not limited to:
a. Daily bank deposits
b. Collection Reports
c. Month end accounting reports as requested by your RPM
d. Rent/renewal increase proposals
· Maintain collections above 99.5% (or in accordance with guidelines set for your community by the Regional Property Manager).
· Assure collections are performed in accordance with policy and local regulations:
a. Late letters to resident
b. Eviction notices
c. Communication with the Housing Office (if applicable)
d. Court appearance if necessary to process eviction filing (do not evict without contacting your RPM first)
· Review resident issues with on-site staff on a weekly basis. Inform Regional Property Manager of any problem areas.
· Complete annual asset business plan and budget.
· Analyze monthly performance and budget projections, discuss strategies with RPM, and communicate to Housing Office as needed or requested.
· Continually enhance knowledge/expertise through publications, reports and seminars.
SUPERVISION OF STAFF The District Manager is responsible for the following (this list is not all-inclusive and may vary at the discretion of the RPM):
· Manage, train, counsel and motivate on-site staff. Consult with RPM regarding special circumstances or problems.
· Conduct interviews of job applicants and assist in hiring/firing decisions with approval of Regional Property Manager.
· Establish schedules for on-site personnel. Ensure proper coverage during office hours.
· Coordinate and initially approve vacation/leave requests before forwarding to the RPM. It is the responsibility of the District Manager to ensure the office is properly staffed at all times.
· Assure service request procedures are being followed according to company policy, including distribution to staff and outside contractors when applicable.
· Follow up personally with residents on any service request that is not completed within a 24-hour time period (see Service Request Policy for more details).
· Monitor/approve all overtime hours. Any potential discrepancies should be brought to the attention of the RPM.
· Conduct annual performance reviews for their on-site staff members, and make recommendations to Regional Property Manager for raises, promotions, or employee counseling. (Regional Property Manager may reserve the right to conduct and/or audit annual performance reviews).
· Implement, and be responsible for adherence to, company policies and job descriptions as stated in the Property Management Policy Manuals.
· Ensure emails from the Regional or Corporate Office are immediately printed and distributed to every member of their staff when instructed to do so.
· Oversee daily paperwork and filing procedures, proper completion of service requests and assign duties to groundskeeper/housekeeper.
· Ensure all onsite staff members have attended the appropriate training classes/seminars including the OJT program, OSHA training, FHA, ADA, etc.
LIABILITY MANAGEMENT The following list of duties is not all-inclusive:
· Assist with resident/personnel problems and complaints before they turn into litigation issues. If necessary, consult with the Regional Property Manager. RPM will decide whether or not outside assistance should be enlisted.
· Be cognizant of potential risk from plaintiff lawsuits--assault, robbery, injury, etc.
· Ensure compliance with Lincoln company policy and federal and local regulations, including but not limited to evictions and vehicle towing, Moisture/Mold policies, Fair Housing Act, American with Disabilities Act, Equal Employment Opportunity, Clean Air Act, Service Member Civil Relief Act.
· Notify Regional Property Manager of any potential liability or litigation claims or issues (i.e. insurance claims, Fair Housing or Equal Employment complaints, ADA issues, etc.).
· Assume leadership in emergencies. Contact the proper authorities, assist displaced residents, complete Incident Investigation Form (see Operations Manual) and insurance forms in cases of property liability, loss and/or damage.
· Refer all media inquiries to the Regional Office.
· Properly document and report all injuries/incidents to the Regional Property Manager, Risk Management Department and/or Insurance Company.
REPORTING AND COMMUNICATION
· Ensure client satisfaction for our Military Owners and Asset Managers.
· Maintain communication with Military representatives and Housing Office as needed or requested by Military personnel or your Regional Property Manager.
· Report in writing all deferred maintenance, capital expenditure needs to RPM.
· Report in writing all Budget Variances over 10% on a monthly basis to RPM.
· Prepare and submit reports as requested by the Military or your RPM (or General Manager or Regional Vice President).
· Oversee resident relations, and communicate with residents by phone or email when prudent. · Address or resident concerns or requests. Consult with Regional Property Manager on any special circumstances.
· Personally communicate with resident(s) on any service request delays (over 24-hour turnaround) and/or special problems with service requests. Consult with Regional Property Manager on any issues of concern.
· Monitor turnover; bubble up any potential problems to the Regional Property Manager.
· Initiate and coordinate resident events --parties, crime watch seminars, children’s programs, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A DISTRICT MANAGER
The following list is a minimum pre-requisite to be considered for the position of District Manager:
· Experience in on-site property management (leasing, bookkeeping, etc.)
· Proficiency in verbal/written communications
· Proficiency in math
· Must be computer literate
· College hours preferred
· Professional image required
· Flexibility in work days/hours
· Must be available for after hours emergency situations (not applicable in all region)
· Flexibility in work location
Before any candidate is selected for the District Manager position, the candidate will complete a psychological personality evaluation to ascertain the strengths of the candidate in the following areas:
· High energy level
· Assertiveness, good people skills
· Flexibility, multi-faceted
· Organization, attention to details
· Dependability, follow-through on projects
· Common sense/practical thinking
In addition, an interview will be conducted to assess the following characteristics:
· Appropriate level of experience
· Self confidence, initiative
· Ability to review, understand and report financial information
· Fairness and ability to interface with others
· Career mindedness/self motivation
DISTRICT MANAGER - ACCOUNTABILITIES
· Manage, train, counsel and motivate staff.
· Maximize the financial performance of the property. Operate the community within budget.
· Ensure the community is aesthetically attractive.
· Develop and maintain positive resident relationships.
· Initiate resident programs and functions.
· Communicate with your RPM and/or Military representatives in a clear and timely manner.
· Operate the community within the guidelines set for collections, turnover, and resident relations.
· Ensure the proper leasing, management, and accounting paperwork is completed and submitted on a timely basis.
· Ensure client satisfaction for our Military Owners.
· Note: The responsibilities and requirements of this position may vary with different regions and/or communities, due to owner/client requirements.